Anyone else have a hankering for banana chocolate chip muffins lately? This is my go to breakfast/snack. I always have premade muffins in the freezer and several in a container on the counter at all times.
I love banana muffins as you can use up those older bananas that you don’t really feel like eating anymore. I usually throw them into the freezer until I have enough to make a double recipe.
What is your favorite muffin?
Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
4 ripe bananas, medium or 1 1/3 C mashed banana
1/3 C melted butter/vegan butter, cooled (I use miyokos) (1)
2/3 C cane sugar
1 egg/egg replacer
1 tsp vanilla (2)
1 tsp baking soda
Pinch of sea salt (3)
1 1/2 C all purpose flour/GF flour (I use Gluten Free All Purpose Flour)
1 C chocolate chips (I use Cuisine Camino Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips) (4)
1. Preheat oven to 350 F
2. Grease your muffin tins (5)
3. Peel bananas and throw them in a big bowl with melted butter and smash it all together with a fork or potato masher
4. Blend until it is creamy and smooth with no chunks
5. Add sugar, egg, and vanilla and mix until just combined
6. Stir in sea salt and baking soda
7. Add flour and chocolate chips and mix until just combined. Do not overmix!
8. Divide into muffin tins & bake until toothpick pulls out cleanly, about 18-20 minutes.
(1) Dairy & Corn Allergy – Depending on allergies use whatever butter you need. There are several options: MELT, Earth Balance, Miyoko’s, coconut oil, goat butter). Beware of salt in butter if corn allergic (look for sea salt/unsalted). Many of vegan butter have corn derivatives.
(2) Corn Allergy – Vanilla is made with alcohol, often corn, you may need to make your own
(3) Corn Allergy – Many that are allergic to corn are sensitive to iodized salt as corn is used in the processing. Sea salt is better, but some are still quite sensitive.
(4) Corn Allergy – During the dutching process to create cocoa, it is treated with ph balancing agents, derived from corn. It is difficult to find safe cocoa or chocolate chips. A couple of corn lite options: Cuisine Camino, Equal Exchange.
(5) Corn & Soy Allergy – PAM is full of contaminated corn oils and soy oil. I use safe oil & grease with my hands. You can buy oil mister bottles and fill with your own safe oil as well.
I don’t line my muffin pans as it isn’t needed. They hold well on their own, and often they are too greasy to stick anyways.